Friday, December 16, 2011

Beginnings...a very good place to start

I stand here alone in my room and think about how my life has treated me so far. I think about the world, so complex, and what I know of it. I am a sixteen year old in the twenty-first century who is somewhat sheltered from the evils of the world. Yet, while I am "just" a teenager I still have many views on life. I can be funny, sad, and thoughtful. I strongly believe that a teenager's mind is able to do far greater things than many people believe possible. This is why I chose to start a blog: to record my thoughts and feelings at this tender age. I also hope to share my writing on this blog because I have not found a suitable place for it yet. While many things I write about will be serious, I do also hope to write about lighter subjects and share music and movies. 
       Anyway, enough with the introductions! I have always hated introductions. I think they are so awkward because each person wants to impress the other, and people are always worried that their true selves will be perceived negatively. For me; however, introductions can either go very well or terribly. I will either stand there in awkward silence or energetically speak to the person. First introductions also scare me because first impressions are almost impossible to shake off. Even if I don't notice it my subconscious mind will always make judgements of the people I meet. I think it may be the mind's way of trying to find people who are safe to associate with. Yet, while it may be hard I do think it is possible to overcome first impressions. Take, for example, Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice (one of my favorite movies....I think i'll reserve one blog just for it!). Both seemingly hated each other from the beginning. Yet, they end up marrying each other in the end. Sometimes I think that if the world could just be like Pride and Prejudice people would be so much happier. I can honestly promise you that a girl would have to be insane if she admitted that she didn't want her own Mr. Darcy! Back to the point, perhaps it takes a unmeasurable force like love to shake a first impression. Most people cannot shake first impressions because they can't admit to themselves that they were wrong. It took Elizabeth years to shake of her first impression of Darcy. Mr. Darcy in the end had to confess his undying love to her so that she would admit that she secretly loved him as well. This is why I promise to try to not judge. As Nick's father says in the Great Gatsby, don't judge someone because they may not have the opportunities that you have. So I end my first post with a small favor to ask: try your hardest to not judge people. There is always more to the story, sometimes you just have to look further. 

With love, 
Natasha 

No comments:

Post a Comment